Please visit my website: www.graceduff.net/Brian to see samples of my work and to learn more about me.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

"I got plenty to confess, but better to wait till it’s over, get it all out at once."

Confession: I often feel like someone is about to expose me as a playwrighting fraud. This rears its head at ugly and awkward times: when getting dressed to go to one of my events, ("Is this what a playwright wears, or just someone trying to look like a playwright?") after I meet creative staff for the first time, ("I totally didn't sound like a playwright, what playwright says that?") and anytime the words 'method' or 'style' come up in terms of the words I put down on paper and ask people to perform in front of other people who have paid money to see it.

...because I haven't been 'trained'. And as a write that, I can't help but think of the poor dumb mutt who isn't house broken and just looks forlornly at his own poop when you come home, suddenly realizing that 'Oh, that probably doesn't belong here... But where should I put it?' That's how my work is when I stop to try and catalog it. I've taken some really awesome classes, and I don't want to take away anything from the amazing teachers who have invested their time in me. They rock.

And would the embossed piece of paper, the extra line on my resume... would that make me feel legitimate? Or is it a slow wearing away? Is it something that I have to accept? And, if so, how do I really accept that when asked about my style or my method, the most precise answer is, "I dunno." I'm not very well read; in every class I've taken, there's been a 'basic tool' that is brand new to me and that I fall in love with. And when I sit down to write, I just start writing. I don't have a real plan, I just make stuff up that feels right. That's my method.

I'm trying to get better, but it still feels false. An example: I don't use outlines. But I've heard PLAYWRIGHTS do. So recently, I tried using an outline. It looked like this...





















Which was entertaining over coffee and raisins, but only showed me all the scenes I hadn't written, not what I needed to write. Also... I lost half the cards and most of them came untaped, so my methodology at very least was lacking.

The thing that did help me figure out the rest of the play was this...
 2012-11-19 01.07.23.jpg

Which, you know, isn't really a, um, thing. But that's what I do... oh, and try to figure out what the heck to wear.

-BGD

2 comments:

  1. Many people have asked me if I consider myself an artist, or else have told me that I am such an artist, they trust my decisions. And I look at them as if they are crazy! What me? Artist? Umm, did you see all the mistakes I have made? What about all the research I did? All I did was synthesize research. Is that artistry? Maybe I need to keep working on what my definition of an artist. Because maybe I am one, if I would let myself be.
    PS one of your pics isn't loading. Sad face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you're an artist, and I'm sure there's a ton of collaborators you have worked with who agree with me. I think you have a partial-aversion to the word, for one... as in crazyartist. But I also share some of that same fear. It's nice to know it's shared, but I want to help you wear down your self doubt. And I can wait to see the art you create for "Revenge!"

    Also... the picture shows up for me. Superweird. Which one isn't working?

    ReplyDelete