Please visit my website: www.graceduff.net/Brian to see samples of my work and to learn more about me.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

"I tell you what."

a few helpful terms for when I describe how my writing is going:

grinding (v.) - the act of forced writing, either self-imposed or by others. Usually, it results in some pretty awful stuff, but it keeps writer's block to a minimum. Still, this is the kind of writing that makes it feel like work.
     ex. "I was grinding out pages today and it's all trash."


flow (n.) - the state of thoughtful writing. When I get an idea and can fluid write and quasi-edit without being overly-critical. A semi-fictional ideal.
    ex. "Where did the last two hours of my life go? I must have been in a good flow."

gushing (v.) - the opposite of grinding. Compulsive writing, writing so fast the ideas are faster than my hand. (Think arterial spray.) The only way I wrote as a teenager. Usually the kind of writing that needs heavy editing and often requires complete dismissal.
     ex. "Can't really talk now, this idea's totally gushing out."

I think I've hit a minor flow lately. And it feels really good. Having said that, I know I'll be back to grinding soon.

-BGD

No comments:

Post a Comment