Please visit my website: www.graceduff.net/Brian to see samples of my work and to learn more about me.

Saturday, October 6, 2012

"Fought tougher men for sure, but i can't tell you who just now."

On a bad day, I will tell people "Music is dumb." Which is not what I actually mean. I'm just angry at the rest of humanity for collectively understanding in an essential way that which I struggle with. So what I really mean is "I don't get it." And I don't.

I'm sort of alien. Or a robot. Or.... the point is I'm not quite a person because I don't get music. Insturmental music drives me up a wall because I don't know what I'm supposed to be listening to... I don't have any way to relate to it. I don't feel anything and I know all you human beings do.

And that brings us to me writing a musical.

Why on earth would I want to write one? First of all, its a tremendous challenge and that seems like a good idea. Second, it forces me to find an awesome collaborator and entrust them to a major portion of the work. And that is healthy and freeing. And finally, god forbid I learn something from my own work. Who knows maybe this will be the moment that transforms me. (Unlikely) But at any rate, growth is a kickass thing. And I expect my audience to be willing to do it, to go along on a ride that they might not always be comfortable with and to entrust me with their time. So maybe I should be willing to do that too.

Even an alien can understand that.

-BGD

No comments:

Post a Comment